Wine, movies and chill? Or Wine movies and chill?
If you are looking to watch some interesting wine-centric films this weekend, check out this list of movies that I have watched and enjoyed.
This is not the ultimate list! Just some of my favourites!
- Somm – First of a three-film series that followed four Master Sommelier candidates and how they prepare for what is considered one of the most difficult exams in the world. These films aren’t in a sequence, so start with any one you fancy. Their online streaming service @sommtv_streaming is super interesting too!
2. The second part of the ‘Somm’ series but not really a sequel, this film takes us through the history of wine and the stories behind 10 bottles of wines. Each wine is a chapter in the film and explores different aspects like the politics or the historical event surrounding that wine.
3. The third part of the series switches between two wine tastings, one in NY which is a blind tasting with some of the best ‘noses’ in the business and one in Paris – a tasting with some of the most famous people in the wine world and wines of their choice! Fascinating stuff!
4. A Good Year – A corporate city person, a vineyard inheritance, new town, new people, new love! And Russel Crowe! Need I say more?
5. Sour Grapes – An interesting documentary about the counterfeit wine market and how a guy named Rudy Kurniawan befriended the rich and famous and sold millions of dollars of fraudulent wine through auction houses.
6. A Year in Burgundy’, ‘A Year in Port’ and ‘A Year in Champagne’ – A three-part docu-series that explores a year each in Burgundy, Port and Champagne regions with wine importer Martine Saunier. It has some great stories about these famous wine regions in different seasons.
7. Bottle Shock – A highly dramatised and partly fictional, but fun interpretation of the ‘Judgement of Paris’ – a wine tasting between French and American wines organised by a British wine merchant, Steven Spurrier. Which wines do you think won?
8. Uncorked – A recent Netflix original that follows a boy’s life as he struggles between joining the family BBQ joint business or following his passion to become a Master Sommelier.
Other wine movies that I recommend are, ‘Back to Burgundy’(French) and ‘Barolo Boys’(Italian). I watched them with subtitles on and both were lovely!
Have you watched any on my list and did you like it?
Do you have your recommendations for wine movies? I’d love to hear about them.